This JIRA just came to my attention: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28846. According to it, current viewers (including the Dolphin viewer) crash on Ubuntu 12.04 when you try to take a snapshot.
I do not use Ubuntu, so cannot verify, but suggest that you do not update your Linux installation to Ubuntu 12.04 until this issue has been resolved.
I’ll be on vacation for the next two weeks, so don’t expect anything new about Dolphin Viewer during that time.
And yet another Dolphin Viewer release!
New in 188.8.131.5290:
- The Machinima Toolbox has been finalized … for now. I will let you guys use it for a while to see if any tweaks are needed.
- Two fixes for crashing to desktop while editing a worn non-mesh attachment have been imported from FireStorm.
- Import and export of your avatar shape to your local hard disk has been ported from the Zen Viewer.
Please note that in order for this function to work, the shape has to be full permission (on Opensim grids), and you also have to be the creator (in Second Life and Second Life Beta). To use this function, edit your shape the usual way – the shape editor has two new buttons for import and export, which will be enabled if the shape meets the permissions criteria.
- The Dolphin Viewer 3 now uses its own, completely separate, data folder. That way logging in on a different viewer (like the Linden Lab official viewer) does not change your settings or toolbars anymore. On Windows, the data folder is C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Dolphin Viewer 3, on the mac it is /Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Dolphin Viewer 3, and on linux it is ~/.dolphinviewer3.
The downloads are on the download page, as always.
Here is some information if you want to update to this version without having to set up all your preferences from scratch again:
Some definitions first:
SECONDLIFE is your old second life data folder.
On the mac:
/Users/YourMacUserName/Library/Application Support/Second Life
DV3 is the new one.
C:\Users\YourWindowsUserName\AppData\Roaming\Dolphin Viewer 3
On the mac:
/Users/YourMacUserName/Library/Application Support/Dolphin Viewer 3
~/.dolphin viewer 3
And here is the list of the files that you can / should copy:
From SECONDLIFE/user_settings to DV3/user_settings:
from SECONDLIFE/avatar_name to DV3/avatar_name
I will update the list if I find more files that should be copied.
Here is the most recent Dolphin Viewer release.
You may have noticed that there have been several back-to-back releases recently – both in order to provide the best possible tools for machinima, as well as features in response to many customer requests.
- Marx Catteneo’s “Film” menu with more handy tweaks for machinima makers and photographers.
- The Machinima Toolbox has been compacted some more to eliminate the need for scrolling.
- ‘”Restore to last in-world position” has been ported from FireStorm.
An object, which has been returned/taken back to your inventory, can now be restored to its last in-world co-ordinates. Simply right click the object in your inventory and choose “Restore to Last Position”. Please note you have to be on the same sim as the object’s original location.
- A Search/Replace function for in-world note cards (from FireStorm) has been added. To use it, open the “Search/Replace” floater via CTRL-f.
- A way to make your avatar phantom has also been ported from FireStorm. Think of it as a client-side move lock, which is triggered with CTRL-ALT-p, or in the menu item Me->My Movement->Phantom.
- Several small bugs in the UI layout have been fixed.
- Some redundant code has been removed.
The downloads are on the download page as usual; the rpm packages for openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1 will follow as soon as the openSUSE build service is back to working normally.