When I first started playing around with mesh and the 3.0 series of Linden Labs’ original viewers, I came across some full-body human mesh avies. As some of you might have realized by now, such full-body human body meshes work only with a body shape close to the one the creator was using, so those avies made me think of ‘attack of the clones’. That in turn made me think of LucasArts™. And as you all know, blender, one of the tools used to create mesh objects, was originally made to create professional computer animations …
So, without further ado, I present:
Dolphin Viewer 3 – A New Hope
Dolphin Viewer 3 – 188.8.131.5218 is out, and includes:
- all new goodies from Linden Labs up to their internal version 3.0.3:
- depth of field (switch it on/off in Prefs/Graphics/Advanced)
- avatar body physics
- prim sizes up to 64 meters
- lots of improvements in the Build tool (details below)
- higher maximum cache size (up to 9984 Mb)
- increased maximum setting for Level of Detail (up to 8 )
- the Minimap in the “People near me” tab in the sidebar is back in and can be switched off and resized
- enhanced parcel privacy, a check box in About Land/Options. When switched off, avatars outside the parcel of land cannot see or chat with avatars on the land
- Marine Kelley’s Restrained Love v2.07.03.03
- all my own previous additions from Dolphin Viewer 2, with the exception of Qarl Fizz’ “select Linden plants” patch, which does not work with the mesh engine
Improved build tools (my anal wife adores me for these):
- You can perform simple mathematics in the spinner controls in the Build tool’s Object tab (numeric fields in Position, Size, Rotation). For example, to double the length of a prim along the y axis you enter sy*2 in the y-size field. The other “variables” are px/py/pz for position, sx,sy,sz for size, rx,ry,rz for rotation.
- A new button in the Build tool is present, so that creators can create a sculpted prim directly instead of first creating a box and then changing it to a sculpt.
- the maximum number of repeats for textures has been set to 256
- the maximum size for hollow has been increased to 99.99% from 95%
- more precision (4 decimals) in the spinner controls in the Build tool, together with a way to increase and decrease the single digits with your keyboard:
Click into one of the numeric fields for Position, Size or Rotation. Then use the cursor up and cursor down keys to increase or decrease the value. You’ll notice that the cursor keys change the second digit after the decimal point. But if you use one of the modifier keys you’ll change the first, third, or fourth digit instead, with the following key combinations
alt-up / alt-down: +/- 0.1
up / down: +/- 0.01
ctrl-up / ctrl-down: +/- 0.001
shift-up / shift-down: +/- 0.0001
Like any other ‘brand new thing’, there are a few known issues:
- Uploading mesh does not work – in fact it will make you crash. For now, use the official Linden Labs viewer to upload your mesh model. There is, as of today, no open-source library for mesh physics, which is needed to be able to upload mesh. Several people are working on a solution, and believe me, I’m monitoring the pertinent JIRA entries quite closely.
- If you crash in Dolphin Viewer 3, and get the message ‘You have been logged out of Second Life because you have been logging in from a different region’ when you try to log back in, use a non-mesh viwer to do so. After a successful log-in with a non-mesh viewer, you can use Dolphin Viewer 3 again. This issue is also present in the original viewer from Linden Labs, and to my knowledge is being worked on.
- Finally, any mesh-enabled viewer needs somewhat more memory than a non-mesh viewer. You might experience more frequent crashes because of that. I’m about to invest in some memory, and you may wish to also.
I guess all that is left to mention is the usual: Find the downloads on the download page.